It's the last few minutes of SEMA, and the rush to pack and leave has begun. Vendors start tearing down their displays, security guards escort buyers and dealers toward the exit and thousands of people start their journey home. K&N however, had a different destination; the Optima Ultimate Street Car Invitational in Pahrump Nevada. K&N, Royal Purple, OPTIMA Batteries, and many other vendors joined with hundreds of race-enthusiasts to make the 54-mile trip to Spring Mountain Motorsports Ranch.
Mark Capener raced his 2011 Lamborghini Gallardo in the 2012 OPTIMA Ultimate Street Car Invitational.
Over 50 of SEMA's top cars were included in several races at the OPTIMA Ultimate Street Car Invitational (OUSCI) Presented by Royal Purple and K&N Engineering, and hosted by SPEED Channel.
2012 OPTIMA® Batteries Ultimate Street Car Invitational Competitors.
During SEMA, Optima Batteries Coordinated a meeting to reveal and congratulate the 50 winners that would compete in the race. Television personalities Amanda Salas and Bill Goldberg were handing out awards, along with many of the Optima Batteries Staff. The conclusion of the meeting came with a "See you all on Saturday!"
Mike Ryan excited the crowd at the OPTIMA Ultimate Street Car Invitational when he brought out his 2,500 horsepower Freightliner big rig.
The main race events of the OPTIMA Ultimate Street Car Invitational took place Saturday, November 3, with the BFGoodrich Hot Lap Challenge, Ridetech Autocross Challenge, Wilwood Disc Brakes Speed Stop Challenge, and the Lingenfelter Performance Engineering Performance and Design Challenge. The Detroit Speed and Engineering/JRI Shocks Road Rally occurred following the close of the SEMA Show Friday, November 2.
Mike Ardito raced his 1967 Pontiac Firebird in the 2012 OPTIMA Ultimate Street Car Invitational.
Mark Stielow and his 1967 Chevy Camaro received 1st place in overall points, making this his second OPTIMA Ultimate Street Car Invitational title to date. Close behind was Brian Hobaugh with his 1973 Chevy Camaro. Stielow received an overall total of 83 points while Hobaugh trailed closely with 82.
More than half of the participants of the OPTIMA Ultimate Street Car Invitational (OUSCI) had a K&N air filter installed on their race car. K&N brings high performance to engines and is one of the essential items when adding horsepower to any vehicle. K&N's High-flow technology reduces restriction and makes your engine breathe easier, thus producing horsepower.
Mark Stielow ranked #1 in the 2012 OPTIMA Ultimate Street Car Invitational in his 1967 Chevy Camaro.
Brian Hobaugh ranked #2 in the 2012 OPTIMA Ultimate Street Car Invitational in his 1973 Chevy Camaro.
The 2012 OPTIMA Ultimate Street Car Invitational top 25 ranking participants:
1. Mark Stielow (1967 Chevy Camaro)
2. Brian Hobaugh (1973 Chevy Camaro)
3. Todd Earsley (2003 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 8 GSR)
3. Bret Voelkel (1933 Ford Coupe)
5. Travis Hill (2013 Nissan GT-R)
6. Steven Rupp (1968 Chevy Camaro)
7. Danny Popp (2010 Chevy Camaro L28)
7. Kyle Tucker (1970 Chevy Camaro)
7. Karl Dunn (2007 Ford Saleen Parnelli Jones Mustang)
10. Brian Finch (1972 Chevy Camaro)
10. Jim Holloway (2013 Ford Mustang RTR)
12. Phil Gerber (1970 Chevy C10 Pickup)
12. Ryan Mathews (1966 Ford Mustang)
14. Bob Bertelsen (1971 Chevy Camaro)
15. Rob McGregor (1970 Chevy C10 Pickup)
16. Chris Smith (1967 Chevy C10)
17. Joey Seely (1986 Porsche Carrera)
18. Dale Akuszewski (1964 Sunbeam Tiger)
18. Jeff Cleary (1967 Chevy Corvette)
20. David Brandt (1969 Chevy Camaro)
20. Todd Foust (1965 Ford Mustang Convertible)
22. Todd Rumpke (2010 Chevy Camaro)
23. Curt Hill (1972 Chevy C5 Blazer)
24. Brad Coomer (1970 Chevy C10)
25. Stacy Tucker (1969 Chevy Camaro)
Optima Batteries, Royal Purple and K&N banners could be seen in the track background, with hundreds of attendees stopping by to get their share of free gear. At one point, after the race had ended, five Classic 1968-1972 Chevy Pickups were seen lined up in front of the K&N Truck and trailer with some of Optima Batteries' Girls standing next to each vehicle for an amazing photo shoot!
This year, if you attend SEMA, make sure you add the OPTIMA Ultimate Street Car Invitational to your Calendar as well. If you are unable to make the event, you can also check your listings for the airing of the event on SPEED Channel.