After showing some progress at the March Meet at Bakersfield in his' 57 Chevy, then showing real potential in his '67 Ghetto Camaro's one & two at Freemont Raceway, Greg got a call from Charlie McCullough, who asked him to drive his car in the B Altered Class. "I jumped at the chance" says Greg, "It was a '67 Corvette, had a BB Chevy engine and Clutch Flight transmission, shifting like an automatic. It ran 8.86 seconds @ 165 MPH…and this was 1974! That matches Super Comp today."
Things continued to progress somewhat slowly for Greg. He started racing a 23T in Super Comp in 1991. By 1998 he got his first rear engine dragster, started winning some local races, and by 2003, everything began to click for the Stockton, CA native. The following successes are the result of his dedication to the sport of drag racing:
• Champion 2003 - Super Comp Div-7 Race - Tucson, Arizona
• Champion 2003 -West Coast Super Comp Race Club
• First Runner Up 2005 -Super Comp Div-7 Race - Fallon, Nevada
• First Runner Up 2005 -Super Comp Div-7 Race - Fontana, California
• Jeg's All-Star Qualifier 2006 Super Comp
• Champion 2006 KD Kanopy Super Shootout / Super Comp
• Champion 2006 -Super Comp Div -7 Race - Bakersfield, California
• Champion 2007 -Super Comp Div -7 Race - Sonoma, California
• Champion 2009 -Super Comp Div -7 Race - Las Vegas, Nevada
• Champion 2009 -Super Comp NHRA World Finals - Pomona, California
• Top ten finishes six of the last 10 years in Division 7!
Greg in fact won eight rounds of eliminations to win the final NHRA Division 7 points race this year and then went on to win the NHRA World Finals in Pomona California the following weekend. Needless to say, when things began to click for Boutte', they clicked in a big way. Wonder if his buddy still wants to race him on a bet?
Greg was always a big fan of K&N. Over the years, he has raced with several K&N sponsored racers including Steve Williams, K&N's VP of R&D and Product Development. Greg states, "I can remove my K&N oil filter with a ONE inch wrench or socket. K&N air filters keep my racecar very consistent while protecting my $30,000.00 racing engine and in my opinion, they are simply the best air filters in the world."
Find K&N products for your vehicle using the K&N application search then use the K&N dealer search to find a K&N dealer in your part of the world.